Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Story of Traveling : #blogeverydayinfeb

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I've never been out of the states, but I have taken some very fun trips with (and without) my family. I've gotten to see some cool sights, eat good food, and (on some trips) learn more about myself or my faith. 

Instead of talking about an actual vacation, I'm going down the path more of finding myself as a singer this past summer. I never got to blog about my experience, because I attended this intensive before I started this blog.  


travel : to make a journey. 

Last June, I attended the Governor's School for Arts and Humanities in Greenville, SC. I applied in February, was accepted, said "yes!" and began my journey.

Yes, I had to make a journey (3 hours) to attend this intensive, but the journey I had as a person and as a singer is one larger than the trip to the location itself. 

In all honesty, I really didn't know what to expect. The school made it clear that this 2 week experience shouldn't (and couldn't) call it a camp - it was a summer intensive. 

I didn't know anyone going. I was literally walking into something and didn't know what to expect. (anxiety = high.) It was hard to leave my mom after the orientation portion, because I was by myself. 

One of the things my mom asked me before she left was, "would you ever consider coming here for the residential program?" and I quickly replied with a No. 
That quickly changed. 

3 days in, I was in love the campus, people, staff/administration, and the program itself. I told my mom that yes, this was a place that I would consider coming. 

I learned more about music theory, the styles and eras of music, how to perform, singing as a soloist (and no longer in a group), the type of singer I am, correct ways to warm up, and so much more.

I met some of the greatest people, have amazing memories, and grew so much as a singer and performer. While I was there, I performed my first ever solo on a stage. As a strict choral singer at the school I currently attend, solos are few and far between, and often times go to the upperclassmen. 

I felt like I was finally home. The people there were all incredibly nice, all were very encouraging, free spirited, and creative. The programs of every major where strong and advanced. After a more difficult year in my major at my home school at home, I finally felt peace and loved the program. 

When I think about my future, and college, Vocal Performance will not be my major. But I would love for it to be my minor. I love singing, don't get me wrong; but I can't see myself majoring in it and graduating with a degree in Vocal Performance, or something along those lines. That's just not what I imagine. 

It would be very difficult, if I were to apply for residential and be accepted. I would have to make a hard decision, one that would be life altering and one that would be permanent. Each week, it seems to change as to whether or not I would want to go the Governor's School for 11th and 12th grade. It just depends on what is happening at my home school that particular week, because some weeks are much more difficult than others.
I'm so glad that I have another few months to think it all through. 

I wanted to take the term "traveling" and put a twist on it - I'm traveling on the path of life, and just waiting for my Lord to show me exactly where I need to be. Everything happens for a reason. 

xo

2 comments:

  1. I have so many friends that have went to the Goveners school. They love it! I wish I had auditioned before I got too old!!!! :) And I loved the take you took on traveling! :)

    Love Always,
    Elizabeth
    thejourneycreatingme.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so excited (but really nervous!) to find out whether or not I made it! Thank you!

      xo

      Delete

You May Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...