Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Tea Talk Tuesday : Jackie from York Avenue

  Home Tour on Apartment Therapy


Happy Tuesday! I hope you're enjoying this series as much as I am. I have really loved reaching out to some of my favorite bloggers and getting to know more about themselves and their blogs. This week, Jackie from York Avenue has shared a little bit about her life as an Operating Room Registered Nurse in the Big Apple! 

1. Tell us a little bit about yourself! 
I'm an Operating Room RN by day, and in my spare time I work on my blog and pursue a few different hobbies. I've recently fallen in love with photography, and my DSLR has definitely been one of the best investments I've made. In addition to that I love reading, baking, and exploring NYC. I grew up on Long Island, which is very close to the city, so I always came to visit Manhattan as a kid but never really imagined that I'd end up living here. I'm so glad that I did! I have a lot of fun trying new restaurants, going to different parks, visiting museums, and just walking around exploring different neighborhoods. 

2. What is it like being an Operating Room RN? 
Working in the Operating Room is great! It's exciting, interesting, and fast-paced, and I work with amazingly smart and talented people. No two days are the same and I'm constantly learning new things. 

3. Where did you go to college and how did you decide on your major?
I went to SUNY Fredonia in upstate New York for two years and then finished up my last two years of college at Stony Brook University on Long Island. I decided on a Psychology major because I found the subject to be fascinating, and still do! Psychology is a huge part of everyday life, though we don't often think of it that way. After I finished my Bachelor's in Psych I went back to school for nursing because I knew that it would be a really interesting career path. It's full of variety and you can do so many things with it, so I definitely think I made a good choice! 

4. What are your three favorite brunch spots in NYC?
I'm obsessed with brunch, so I'm constantly looking for new favorites! Sarabeth's is one of my top choices. I've been to their Upper East Side and Central Park South locations, and both are lovely. I love the atmosphere, and their pancakes are amazingly delicious. Another place I've only been to once, but which really stuck with me, is called Clinton St. Baking Company, on the Lower East Side. There's always an insane wait, but it was actually worth it. Their hot chocolate and pancakes were seriously AMAZING. My mouth waters just thinking about it! Note to self: go back as soon as possible! Lastly, I really like Alices Tea Cup. They also have a few locations (the Upper East Side one being my favorite, of course!), and I just love how whimsical and cute everything is in there. Aside from the charming decor though, the food is actually quite delicious as well! They have the most fantastic buttermilk scones with clotted cream and jam...so yummy! It's a fun place that you'll really only find in a city like New York. Places like that are part of what I love about this city!

5. What drew you to NYC, and what do you love most about living there?
I came to NYC because I was incredibly lucky to get an amazing job here. After nursing school I decided it would be great to really get out on my own and see what city life would be like. So far, it's been amazing and I'm so glad that I moved here. I also wanted to stay close to where my family is, so this is really the ideal place to be. 

6. What are some of your interior design inspirations (people, locations)?
For interior design, I'm constantly inspired by anything that Michelle Adams does. She has an aesthetic that I really relate to, and I usually love anything designed or styled by her. I love the edginess of Kelly Wearstler's home goods, and I'm also always inspired by other bloggers, such as Elements of Style and Live Creating Yourself. ABC Carpet and Home and Anthropologie are two stores that always get my creative juices flowing as well!

7. What are your three favorite food related posts you’ve written?
Great question! I love writing food posts, since I'm a huge fan of baking and food photography. I was really proud of my Snickerdoodles post, because it was one of the first I did with my DSLR and I just really loved how the photos came out. I also love my second birthday cake post, because I just love that cake and the memories I have of baking it with my family every year (it's a bit of a tradition). My Olive-Oil Granola post is a favorite as well because I like the photography and I love that recipe, which I've made a zillion times! 

8. Favorite books and movies for summer?
For summer, I'm psyched to continue reading the Game of Thrones books. I just started the first one after getting obsessed with the TV show, and I'm loving it! I'm also excited for The Vacationers by Emma Straub, which seems like a great summer read, and to try The Fault in Our Stars, after seeing the movie and really enjoying it (through the amazing amount of tears it brought on!). I'm not too good at keeping up with movies, but I am excited for the Gone Girl movie to come out! 

9. What is your current go to bag?
My current go-to bag for summer is my Madewell Perforated Transport Tote. I have the tote in black and use it constantly, so when I saw the perforated version I knew I had to scoop it up! I've hardly stopped using it since it arrived, which is how I know it was a wise purchase. It's so lightweight, holds a ton, and it's completely versatile. The neutral caramel color goes with anything, and the perforations are a perfect little touch for summer. 

10. What is one of the biggest achievements you’ve had since you began blogging?
My biggest achievements since starting blogging have definitely been my home tours on The Everygirl, Houzz, and Apartment Therapy. I was pretty shocked and incredibly flattered that these great websites wanted to publish my apartment, and it was so incredibly exciting to get to share my space with such a wide audience. It's really interesting seeing how different photographers capture the space in different ways, and I'm just really grateful for all three experiences. 

11. What is one piece of advice you would give to high school girls? College?
For high school girls, I would say be yourself! It's so hard at the time, but don't worry about fitting in with the cool kids or what other people are saying and doing. Don't follow the crowd. Looking back on high school, I wish I had just been more relaxed and not worried so much about what people were thinking of me. For college girls, I would say try to figure out what you're passionate about. College flies by and then it's time to make major decisions about what you want to do with the rest of your life, so pay attention to where your talents lie and what subjects and activities make you happy. 

12. What’s your favorite section of NYC other than the UES (Upper East Side)?
Other than the UES, which I'm obsessed with, I actually really like the Upper West Side. It's similar to the Upper East, but has it's own distinctive personality. It's gorgeous in terms of architecture and the beautiful side streets lined with townhouses, and Central Park is right there, which is just lovely. There are many great shops, bakeries, and restaurants. It's somewhat residential and not too crowded as far as NYC neighborhoods go. I just think it's very picturesque and has a great vibe. 

13. What are some pieces you feel every woman should have in her closet?
As far as fashion goes, I live a very casual life! I wear scrubs to work so I can't really speak to work clothes, but for someone like me, I would say a great fitting and COMFORTABLE pair of jeans is a must, along with a great pair of white jeans and black jeans. I think an army green jacket is always great, and lately I've been all about Converse sneakers paired with skinnies. A great, perfect fitting white tee is a classic and a must (I love the Everlane u-neck), and a stylish raincoat is very important too. Great rain and snow boots are also a city essential, which I've sadly yet to find! A few standout, high-quality bags can also elevate any outfit I think, and they're great investments if you pick something classic. 

14. Where can we find you on social media?
I'm on PinterestTwitterInstagram, and Goodreads...stop by and say hello if you'd like!

Have a great Tuesday! 

xoxo

P.S. If you have a blog of your own and are interested in being featured in "Tea Talk Tuessday" please shoot me an email at athousandtomorrowsblog@gmail.com. I would love to hear from you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

You May Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...