Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Organization 101

I have made it a goal of mine for this school year to stay organized. 
I am utilizing my agenda like I never have. 

Throughout the next few weeks, I will be posting topics all about organization. 

Today: Note Taking, Organization While Studying, and Everyday Organization. 

Taking notes is different for every person - some people like color coding their notes, others can study their notes no matter how they write them or organize them. Others write their notes, then go home and organize them as needed. 
It's different for everyone. 

These note taking tips are written for college students, but note taking can get severe even in high school. 

Outline for Note Taking: 
Title/Heading
1. Topic/Main Idea 
a. expands on topic 
b. concept change 
i. adds detail 
ii. category/idea changes
2. New Main Idea/Topic

Color coding can help visual learners. Underlining and highlighting topics helps to categorize different topics and ideas. 
Creating acronyms to remember topics, like PEMDAS (math) is a useful tool. 
*Make sure the acronym makes sense and is logical.* 
Binder Organization - use tabs, and always have loose leaf paper on hand. Tabs/Dividers allows you to have different sections - notes, homework, tests and quizzes, classwork, projects, etc. (endless possibilities!) 
Create charts, diagrams, and graphic organizers to create a visual studying device.

I adore The College Prepster. I read her blog every morning while I am getting ready, and when I get home from school I check it - I am obsessed. 
Carly, the author, has many organization tips, study tips, and so much more for school. She knows what she is talking about. 
She has great tips about organizing while studying. 
Whenever I am studying for a unit or chapter test, my desk area can become a nightmare. Papers, textbooks, and binders really make it a mess. 
The College Prepster has come up with the needed items that should always be at your desk while studying. 
- Laptop (PDFs, Power Points, Word Docs)
- Glasses (if needed)
- iPad (music)
- healthy snack
- index cards
- agenda (visualize what you need to be working on)
- pencil pouch 
 put away your phone! 

Everyday Organization Tips
1. List Notebook! 
I created a notebook this summer to organize notes, quotes, and random thoughts I have throughout the day. And I love it. 
2. Update Agenda 
3. 10 Minute Tidy Up 
Doing this every night in your room really helps - I like doing this after my shower, but before I start reading. 

How are you staying organized this school year? 

Love, Sydney 

Social Media: Twitter  Instagram  Pinterest  Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment

You May Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...