Thursday, September 4, 2014

C is for Cookie

*Recipe from America's Test Kitchen*

I am definitely no baker - put me on the show "Next Great Baker" and I would have no clue what to do after the first challenge was assigned, guaranteed. In fact, I don't think I've ever posted a recipe here on the blog, so this should be fun! I wish I could bake as well as my blogging bestie Monogram Meredith, but she's too incredible to ever match! 
Even though I'm not the best, I still love to utilize spare time (when I'm in the mood), to bake something fun to share with family or friends! It doesn't happen too often, but when it does, I find it fun, and with me cooking, quite messy!
Back in August, right before school started, I decided to make a batch of "Thick" (originally "big", if you look at the recipe!) and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies! They lasted less than 24 hours in our house of five people, and were so good. They were perfect on the last few days of summer, and were definitely the perfect treat! These cookies would be perfect to take to a late summer BBQ, fall party, or Christmas party when it comes time. 


Makes : about 20 cookies (I managed to make 27, it all depends on the size!)
Prep Time : 5 minutes
Total Time : 35 minutes plus cooking time

You Will Need :
3 1/2 C all-purpose flour
3/4 TSP baking soda
1/2 TSP salt
2 Sticks Unsalted Butter, melted and cooled
You use melted butter instead of softened butter in order to make the cookie more chewy.
1 1/4 C packed light brown sugar
1/2 C granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 egg yolks
This keeps the cookies from becoming tough, after adding the melted butter. This helps the cookie to stay tender.
1 TBS vanilla extract
2 C semisweet chocolate chips

Steps 1 and 2 
1. Adjust the oven racks to the upper- and lower-middle positions and preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Whisk the flour, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl. Set aside.
2. Beat the butter and sugars in a large bowl using an electric mixer on medium speed until combined, 1-2 minutes. Beat in the eggs, egg yolks, and vanilla until combined, about 30 seconds. Scrape down the bowl and beater(s) as necessary. (I love using these small spatulas!)

Steps 3:
Reduce the speed of the mixer to low and slowly mix in the flour mixture until combined, about 30 seconds. Mix in the chocolate chips until incorporated. 

Step 4 :
Working with 1/4 cup of dough at a time, roll the dough into balls and lay on two parchment lined baking sheets, spaced about 2 1/2 inches apart. Bake until the edges are golden but the centers are still soft and puffy, roughly 17-20 minutes, rotating and switching the baking sheets halfway through baking.
Something my mom has always done, and has taught me to do, is to use a cookie scooper (from Williams Sonoma via OXO) in order to get the perfect, round shape. This ends up with less of a mess on your hands and is very quick and easy to do!

Step 5 : 
Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes, then serve warm or transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely. Then enjoy! 
You're removing the cookies from the oven before they look completely baked and letting them finish baking on the hot cookie sheet to help the cookies to set without overbaking them and ruining the chewiness. 

These were honestly some of the best cookies I've had (way to go, America's Test Kitchen!), and reminded me of cookies I eat at camp. Grab yourself a glass of milk, and you're going to keep asking for more!


What are some of your favorite desserts to make?
xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment

You May Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...