Thursday, August 14, 2014

EASY AND SIMPLE DIY for School

Going back to school after a great summer is definitely a challenge, but getting to go back to school shopping is probably one of the highlights of returning to school. So many people say this (and it's true!): getting to pick out my new binders and notebooks, pens and pencils, and all the little fun extras is a blast! 
With this being said, I always find the most durable supplies don't come in the cutest patterns that we all hope and wish for! Therefore, I find it even more enjoyable to personally customize my school supplies after purchasing them in store with cute monograms and fun patterns that will last the entire year. 


What You'll Need : 
Binders (with clear plastic sleeve!) and/or Notebooks
Mod Podge + Paintbrush
Cardstock
Binder Covers (See Step 1!)

Step One :: Find and print off cute monogrammed and/or patterned binder covers! I printed these from Printable Monogram (super easy, simply make an account, download, insert your monogram, and print!), but I found a couple of other cute options :: Pop Cosmo Solid Color Binder Covers (A little more time consuming, but a simple and modern color scheme!) // Another Pop Cosmo find, but this time with Lilly Pulitzer patterns! (A little more time consuming again, but worth the stress you'll save!) // Jessica Marie Designs Preppy Printable Binder Covers (Just as easy as the covers from Printable Monogram, but they're all Lilly Patterns!) // Prep in Your Step, DIY Instructions (super easy, very similar patterns to those you'll find on Printable Monogram!)
I suggest that you print your binder covers on cardstock. This way, they'll last all year and you won't have to worry about them being "flimsy" like regular printer paper.

Step Two :: (Personalized Binders Only!) If you're simply looking to spruce up your binder(s), then your job is almost done! Simply slip the cardstock into the plastic sleeve of your binder and you're ready to go to class! 

Note : Last year, I got into the habit of using a 5 subject notebook to keep the majority of my class notes in. I ended up loving this system and decided to start it off fresh at the beginning of my sophomore year! I have a single subject notebook for most of my classes, in which I will get a second notebook for second semester if I feel it necessary. As for the five subject notebooks, I am using one for Pre Calculus Honors and Biology. It leads to less filler notebook paper you'll need in your binder and you won't be purchasing pack after pack! This is why there's also the option to personalize notebooks!

***

Step Two :: (Personalized Notebooks Only!) Once you've printed your beautiful and preppy binder covers, "paint" a thin layer of Mod Podge onto the outer cover of your notebook. This can get messy, so make sure you lay something down underneath the notebook. 
In order to not get Mod Podge inside the holes of my notebook, I opened the front cover of the notebook and laid it down by itself (so that there's no paper is underneath it), and then proceeded to paint the cover. 
Also Note : I corresponded the cover on my notebooks to my binders, so that it made finding the two together easier!

Step Three :: Leave the notebooks to dry and take them to school when needed! 
I didn't like the front or back cover of my notebooks, so I ended up taking a solid color sheet of cardstock and glued it to the back! This is completely optional, depending on your preference and notebook. 

That's all! To complete this project, it took me no longer than 30 minutes and is definitely worth it in the long run. 

What do you do to your school supplies to make them preppy and cute?

xoxo

P.S. If you've personalized your school supplies using this DIY, or have personalized your own using a different method, I'd love to see them! Tag me in your pictures on Instagram (@/athousandtomorrows or @/sydhuss), or send them via Twitter or Email! 

THIS BLOG WILL BE LOCATED AT SYDNEYHUSS.BLOGSPOT.COM STARTING AUGUST 22ND, 2014. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

You May Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...